How to Apply
The Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology (BMCDB) Graduate Group only accepts applications for the Ph.D program.
Applicants for admission to BMCDB are required to meet the University of California minimum 3.0 overall GPA requirement for admission. Other requirements for admission include:
- A Bachelor's degree: An undergraduate major in biology or chemistry is typical for BMCDB graduate students, but is not required.
- Graduate Record Examination. Only the general GRE is required; the GRE subject test is NOT required.
- English proficiency examination for international applicants who have not studied at an English speaking University: TOEFL or other University approved examination. International applicants must meet the Office of Graduate Studies minimum TOEFL score requirement (or equivalent for other University-approved examination). For more information, please see: https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/prospective-students/admissions-application/international-applicants
- Prerequisites include calculus; statistics; physics; general chemistry; organic chemistry; biology; biochemistry; genetics.
- Three letters of recommendation.
Information for Prospective Students may be found: http://bmcdb.ucdavis.edu/resources/prospective-students.html
Applications are only accepted for fall quarter admission and should be made as early as possible. The application deadline for Fall 2017 is December 1. For full consideration, please ensure all application materials are received before December 1.
- The application opens in September. Please use the following link to access the Biochemistry, Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology application: http://www.gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/prospective/applicationlanding.html.
- The application fee is $105 for the domestic application and $125 for the international. The fee may be paid by credit card or by sending a check or money order made out to "UC Regents" to Graduate Studies. It is strongly recommended that applicants pay by credit card to avoid application processing delays. The fee must be paid before the application will be considered complete, and the fee must be paid for each application submitted.
- Letters of Recommendation must be submitted electronically through the online application. Do not have recommenders send letters in hard copy as they will not be reviewed.
- UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcrips after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts.
- Please use these codes for reporting electronic scores from the Graduate Record Examination General Test. Institution Code: 4834.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international students. Report TOEFL scores using institution code: 4834. For IELTS, official paper score reports must be sent by mail directly from the IELTS testing center to the graduate program to which you are applying. Mail IELTS to the address below.
The graduate group cannot review an application until all of the above components are received.
Send materials not submitted online to the address below:
College of Biological Sciences Dean's Office
BMCDB Graduate Group
227 Life Sciences
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616